Friday, February 16, 2018

Omnuim Gatherum - Administrative & R&D Offices Space Station

NOTE:  You can click on most pictures to get a larger view of them.

One of the things I've noticed over the years is a serious lack of space station models, especially when it comes to Star Trek.  Sure, there are models of Deep Space Nine (Nor Class) and Deep Space Station K-7 (K Class), but that's really it.  If you do some searching around, you might be able to find some expensive garage kit resin models of other stations, but they can sometimes be hard to acquire.

As my kitbashing skills progressed, I found that I had a large pile of Constitution Class and Refit Constitution Class saucer sections and began to wonder if maybe I could build my own station.  Thus was born Omnuim Gatherum, the Administrative & R&D Offices Space Station for my own ship building company, Triple-D Enterprises.



STAR TREK UNIVERSE NOTES:

When Triple-D Enterprises purchases an older Federation Boneyard, they immediately set to work on constructing some sort of mobile office platform to house thier administrative offices and R&D offices.  Several old Constitution Class hulls were identified as being viable parts for this endeavor and within a few months, the station was operational.

Omnuim Gatherum
Triple-D Enterprises Administrative Office Complex
Triple-D Enterprises R&D Facility
[1:2500 Scale AMT Kitbash]

 
 
 


The space station was designed to be highly maneuverable.  The impulse engines on each saucer section have been fully refurbished and with the addition of the RCS thrusters that each section also contains, the station is capable of moving around the yard rather quickly.


Since junkyards are prone to potential pirates, the station's old Constitution parts weapons systems were rebuilt.  Her many photo torpedo launchers and phaser banks serve as quite the deterrent to would be thieves.


Two primary shuttle bays were built into the upper portion of the station to allow ease of access.


The recycled secondary hulls all still have fully functioning shuttle bays as well, thus allowing base personnel to come and go, or supplies to be easily loaded or unloaded.


Quite a few years later, an AI enhanced computer core called G.A.M.I. was installed.  This allowed the station to operate autonomously and helped ease some of the day to day operations of the company.

REAL WORLD NOTES:

Parts Used: AMT Enterprise and Enterprise Refit, Bandai Desslock's Command Ship Gun Muzzle and SMITE Transporters, Bandai Zordar's Dreadnaught Wings

This was one of those "What If?" kind of builds.  I had an abundance of certain parts and started laying them out to see what it would look like and this station was the end result.

The section that the stand fits into was actually a leftover stand for a Star Blazers Comet Empire Dreadnought, flipped over. The section below the two protruding hanger decks/docking ports was the rear engine housing from a Star Blazers Desklock Command Cruiser. The hanger decks themselves were the SMITE teleportation devices from a Star Blazers 3rd Generation Deslock Command ship. The cone thing above them was the muzzle from the Deslock Gun portion of the previously mentioned Desklock Command Ship. And the Antenna Array on top were the end pieces from the wing assembly on the Comet Empire Dreadnought.

I have a funny story about this build. I wanted her to have a beat up look after all, she serves ina junkyard and has been cobbled together from junk. While I was painting and assembling, I set it down on top of my laptop which in turn I set on a box just to check to see if she was level. As I was moving around, I kicked the box. The model fell to the ground first, followed by the laptop landing on top of her. She blew apart into a pile of pieces. I sure got my beat up look.

Unfortunately, I built this station at a time where I was not documenting my builds, therefore I don't have any cool Work In Progress pictures to share.


As always, I hope you found this article useful and informative.  If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to comment below.

So for now, "Live long and prosper!!!"



Additional Links To Photos Of My Collection:

No comments:

Post a Comment